Associate Editor, Hawaii Catholic Herald, Honolulu, HI May 2018 to Present
- In my second go-around with the Diocese of Honolulu’s biweekly newspaper (I first worked there 2006-2010), I report, write and edit stories and columns, including the quiz and archives sections.
- Oversee and edit local columnists’ and freelancers’ submissions
- Shoot photos, produce a monthly podcast, and contribute other multimedia content
- Manage social media channels (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter)
- Produce a biweekly e-newsletter
Multimedia Editor, Northwest Catholic, Seattle, WA July 2013 to April 2018
- As social media consultant and freelancer from July to December 2013, created, developed and executed social media strategy for this new magazine and website. Curated frequent daily Facebook and Twitter postings. During this time as a consultant, I also wrote a magazine cover story and content for NWCatholic.org.
- In December 2013, I became Northwest Catholic’s multimedia editor.
- Editor of NWCatholic.org, social media content manager, associate editor for NORTHWEST CATHOLIC magazine.
- Coordinated integration of print, audio and visual efforts between website, magazine and social media accounts.
- Wrote feature stories for magazine, which reached 123,000 homes in Western Washington, as well as, shorter web-only stories.
- Reported and produced video features, as well as, edit audio, video and other multimedia content for NWCatholic.org.
Freelancer, Editorial Intern, Slate Magazine, Washington, D.C. January 2012 to May 2013
- As spring 2012 intern, developed Slate-New America map projects, wrote quippy, succinct “Cocktail Chatter” roundups, managed the Slate Politics Facebook page, and blogged on military spouses, cohabitation, Modern Family and Paula Deen during internship. As freelancer, wrote a business piece on Larry Ellison’s Lanai purchase, a story on a Guinness holiday, which was a “most read” story and mentioned in The New York Times’ Diner’s Journal, and a piece on Spam, the meat, that was a “most read” story.
Reporter, Capital News Service, College Park, Md. August 2012 to December 2012
- As a reporter in the University of Maryland’s multimedia bureau, produced news and feature packages including videos, slideshows, maps and timelines on topics like the “Diary of a Wimpy Kid” author’s Maryland connections, growth in the state craft brewery industry, and a Star Wars toy museum video mentioned on the Washington Post’s website.
Social Media Intern and Graduate Coordinator, University of Maryland July 2011 to December 2012
- Developed engaging programs for student military veterans, created and edited VetLife publication, and managed social media and marketing for the Veteran Student Life Office.
Reporter, The Catholic Standard, Washington, D.C. August 2010 to June 2012
- Produced political, military, education and young adult stories and photos along with first-person columns. Revived social media efforts, greatly increasing Twitter/Facebook reach.
Reporter/Photographer, Hawaii Catholic Herald, Honolulu September 2006 – August 2010
- Primary staff writer and photographer. Created paper’s social media strategy as a way to engage younger readers at a time when Twitter and Facebook were just emerging as media tools in the Catholic press. Started the “Hawaii Catholic Harold” quiz, young adult section, and “8 Questions for Father” columns, all of which became popular sections in the paper.
- Produced video, photos and print stories from Rome and Sydney on tight deadlines and blogged from Sydney for the national Catholic News Service.
Social Media Coordinator, eMentor Leadership Program, Seattle, WA June 2013 to April 2014
- Redeveloped this veteran and military spouse mentoring program’s social media strategy as volunteer coordinator. Posted to Facebook and Twitter pages, created a Google+ page, and coordinated volunteer social media posters. Interviewed and profiled veterans for the site.
Reporting Internships (2002-2004)
University of Maryland, Philip Merrill College of Journalism, College Park, Md.
- Master of Journalism, Multi-Platform Journalism, December 2012. 4.0 GPA.
Northwestern University, Medill School of Journalism, Evanston, Ill.
- Bachelor of Science in Journalism, Minor in History, May 2006.
- Skilled photographer. Photo editing with Photoshop
- Audio editing with Audition
- Non-linear video editing with Final Cut
- Database reporting with Access
- Basic web design and development with HTML and CSS
- Social media management with Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok
Memberships & Awards
- Catholic Press Association Awards:
- Catholic Press Association 2014 Awards:
- 1st place in General Excellence for Northwest Catholic magazine
- 1st place for Best Web and Print Combination Package (all publications)
- 1st place for Best Online Presentation of Multimedia Visuals (all magazines)
- 2nd place for best magazine website for NWCatholic.org
- 3rd place for Best Coverage of Vocations to Priesthood, Religious Life or Diaconate (all magazines)
- Catholic Press Association 2013 Awards:
- 1st place for best magazine website
- 1st place for Best Coverage of Vocations to Priesthood, Religious Life or Diaconate (all magazines)
- Catholic Press Association 2010 2nd place award for young adult reporting
- 2009 honorable mention for young adult section
- 2003 Hearst Journalism Awards sixth place, Personality/Profile category
- 2004 Hawaii Publishers Association Pa‘i Award for “Hawaii Guide to Private Schools.”
- 2000 Al Neuharth Free Spirit and Student Journalism Conference inaugural participant
- Eleanor Merrill Graduate Fellowship for academic merit
- Delta Zeta Sorority
- Tillman Military Scholar for leadership, service, academics
- High school valedictorian