Freelancer, Editorial Intern, Slate Magazine, Washington, D.C. January 2012 to Present
- As spring 2012 intern, developed Slate-New America map projects, wrote quippy, succinct “Cocktail Chatter” roundups, managed the Slate Politics Facebook page, and blogged on military spouses, cohabitation, Modern Family and Paula Deen during internship. As freelancer, wrote a business piece on Larry Ellison’s Lanai purchase and a story on a Guinness holiday, which was a “most read” story and mentioned in The New York Times’ Diner’s Journal.
Reporter, Capital News Service, College Park, Md. August 2012 to December 2012
- As a reporter in the University of Maryland’s multimedia bureau, produced news and feature packages including videos, slideshows, maps and timelines on topics like the “Diary of a Wimpy Kid” author’s Maryland connections, growth in the state craft brewery industry, and a Star Wars toy museum video mentioned on the Washington Post’s website.
Social Media Intern and Graduate Coordinator, University of Maryland July 2011 to December 2012
- Developed engaging programs for student military veterans, created and edited VetLife publication, and managed social media and marketing for the Veteran Student Life Office.
Reporter, The Catholic Standard, Washington, D.C. August 2010 to June 2012
- Produced political, military, education and young adult stories and photos along with first-person columns. Revived social media efforts, greatly increasing Twitter/Facebook reach.
Reporter/Photographer, Hawaii Catholic Herald, Honolulu September 2006 – August 2010
- Primary staff writer and photographer. Created paper’s social media strategy as a way to engage younger readers at a time when Twitter and Facebook were just emerging as media tools in the Catholic press. Started the “Hawaii Catholic Harold” quiz, young adult section, and “8 Questions for Father” columns, all of which became popular sections in the paper.
- Produced video, photos and print stories from Rome and Sydney on tight deadlines and blogged from Sydney for the national Catholic News Service.
Reporting Internships (2002-2004)
University of Maryland, Philip Merrill College of Journalism, College Park, Md.
- Master of Journalism, Multi-Platform Journalism, December 2012. 4.0 GPA.
Northwestern University, Medill School of Journalism, Evanston, Ill.
- Bachelor of Science in Journalism, Minor in History, May 2006.
- Skilled photographer. Photo editing with Photoshop and Photo Mechanic
- Audio slideshow production with Soundslides and Keynote
- Audio editing with Audacity and Soundbooth
- Non-linear video editing with Final Cut
- Database reporting with Access
- Web design and development with HTML and CSS
- Social media management with Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Tumblr
Memberships & Awards
- Catholic Press Association 2010 2nd place award for young adult reporting
- 2009 honorable mention for young adult section
- 2003 Hearst Journalism Awards sixth place, Personality/Profile category
- 2006 Hawaii Publishers Association Pa‘i Award for “Hawaii Guide to Private Schools.”
- 2000 Al Neuharth Free Spirit and Student Journalism Conference inaugural participant
- Eleanor Merrill Graduate Fellowship for academic merit
- Delta Zeta Sorority
- Tillman Military Scholar for leadership, service, academics
- High school valedictorian